Rome has officially become one of my favourite cities in the world. After travelling to 20 countries in total and comparing them, Rome has everything you would want in a place to visit. The food’s amazing, it’s rich in culture and history, the sights to see will leave you speechless, the people are very warm, it’s cheap to shop, it’s relatively safe plus the wine and COFFEE is good! :) I wish I took more photos to show you every inch of it but in this blogpost, I tried my best to put into words what I saw to convince you why Rome should be on your bucket list. Here are things you could do:
1. See the iconic Colosseum. Other than pasta and pizza, what else comes to mind when you hear Rome? I’m sure one of it will be the Colosseum. It’s so iconic that you’ll have at least an idea of what it looks like. Our history classes in grade school made sure we do! It’s massive and overwhelming that it will take a few seconds before it sinks in that it’s actually in front of you. Just imagine, this structure was created and used thousands of years ago and it’s standing till today! :) I’ve gotten advice before coming here that it won’t be worth it to pay 35 euros to see the inside but Ben really wanted to so we did. Didn’t regret it though because we’re already there, so why not? It’s not something we’ll do again though but I won’t mind seeing the outside again and again! :)
2. Make a wish at the Trevi Fountain. Other than Roman Holiday, I really really wanted to see the Trevi Fountain because of Lizzie Mcguire!! Ahhh ever since that movie, I knew I had to make a wish there too! :) What’s the harm right other than losing a few cents? It really might have that power and my wish would come true ;)
3. Climb the Spanish Steps. Another iconic Roman spot! It takes about 135 steps to climb it and there’s a church waiting for you at the top. It’s packed with tourists and their selfie sticks but it’s a nice place to unwind, take photos and people watch :)
4. Be in awe of the beauty of Roman architecture. Italy in general is country that seems to be stuck in time in a very very good way. They’ve fought hard to keep their culture and history in tact that you will barely see a modern structure around. It’s like walking into a beautiful movie set and makes you just want to stay there forever :) I’m not sure if it’s really the architecture that made me feel like this but you’ll know what I’m talking about when you do visit!
5. Immerse yourself with Rome’s rich history and visit even the spots you rarely see on Google’s top places. Rome is your history books come to life that you will not have any choice but do so :) Ben’s not into history so much but even Rome got to him! :P You will find the usual tourist spots to go to be a treat but even the ones that aren’t are fascinating as well :) Here’s a list of more that aren’t included here:
– Roman Forum
– Piazza Navona
– Palantine Hill
– Castel Sant’Angelo
– Capitoline Hill
– Altare Della Patria
6. Visit one of the most beautiful and oldest temples in the world, The Pantheon. This was the first place we visited and we couldn’t believe it was the very same structure from 27 BC! That means it’s about 2,000 years old! You’ll feel very small once you walk it’s halls.
7. Say a prayer of thanks at the centre of the Roman Catholic, The Vatican. If you’re catholic like me, what could be more chilling and breathtaking than actually saying a prayer inside the St. Peter’s Basilica? It’s just surreal that it’s the very place where the pope lives. The architecture and it’s interiors are unbelievably beautiful to look at too that you can spend minutes just looking up.
8. Eat your calories by having a scoop (or two!) of gelato everyday.
9. Have a Roman Holiday moment and put your hand inside the Mouth of Truth. Ben wasn’t so familiar with this because it’s not usually what you see in movies but I wanted to do what Audrey Hepburn did in Roman Holiday too! Plus, we had 5 days in the city so I took my chance :) Just letting you know though, if you’re not a fan of the movie, it’s not worth lining up for. lol After lining up for about an hour, you have literally 5 seconds to take a photo then they let you leave.
10. Basically, just eat the best meals you’ll ever have in your life. Again, if I haven’t stressed this enough on my last blogpost, I’m saying it again, EAT!!! :)