If you only give me 5 minutes to dress up, I would first grab a pair of jeans then whatever I can get my hands on after. Denim has always been my staple, I have so much of it in my closet and I tend to over use them again and again. I wore so much of them growing up that it was such a surprise to my family that I was the one who started a fashion blog as compared to Verniece who always donned dresses and all things frilly :P Back in college, they’re are all you’ll ever see me wear with an appearance of leggings on the days I need to have my pairs laundered. It’s always been my comfort zone, my place of solitude when I don’t feel my best or even when I just want to take a break from all the “fashion blogger” outfits I wear. Thankfully, you have given me special attention on my Instagram account whenever I wear them that I want to share a few tips on how one can go beyond the T-Shirt-Jeans-Sneaker combination everyone does :) All my jeans except the white one are from the newest collection of GUESS, my favorite denim brand. I never knew you’d take interest in these but here they are!
1. Spice up your jeans by layering with a jacket and sneakers. This has got to be my favorite combination ever that if we do come across each other in the airport, I’d probably be wearing this outfit! :) Go the extra mile and buy a pair of shoes that has an eye catching detail like the furry balls I have on mine.
On Vern: Coat from Forever 21, Shoes from Topshop, Bag from Givenchy, Jeans from GUESS
On Verniece: Blazer from Mango, Shoes from Nike, Bag from Prada, Hat from New Era, Jeans from GUESS
2. Go beyond your t-shirt and jeans combination. You can do so by wearing a cute pair of heels or trading in your shirt with a long sleeved white shirt or a turtle neck. Simplicity is still key so no need for accessories other than your staples – a watch, a bag and earrings! :)
On Vern: Top from Korea, Shoes from Topshop, Bag from Furla, Jeans from GUESS
3. Denim doesn’t stop with pants. Wear the material as a jacket! Jeans are always underestimated as it’s one thing EVERYBODY has in their closet whether one likes dressing up or not especially here in the Philippines :) A denim jacket can tone down any outfit but still make it look so chic! Wear it with summer dresses, a maxi dress or even the holiday dresses you wore once last December.
On Vern: Top from Forever 21, Skirt from Korea, Bag from Givenchy, Denim Jacket from GUESS
4. Invest in a good fitting pair of white jeans. I’m lucky that Verniece found me one in Korea with the trendy detail on the bottom part so it’s very now but if it’s not your style, stick to the regular cut or your trusted skinny jeans. Just make sure you have one in your closet as this makes any girl look fresh :)
5. You can never go wrong with denim on denim. This trend used to be looked down on and I remember my mom even telling me, “You know that was baduy during our time.” but it’s something you should try :) Not everyone has the guts to but you can start with a denim polo and jeans :)
On Vern: Top from Korea, Blazer from Forever 21, Bag and Shoes from Chanel, Jeans from GUESS