When FLIGHT 001 PHILIPPINES invited us to go to New York for a few days to visit their flagship store and meet the minds behind the brand, we knew we had to make a detour somewhere around the United States to make use of our time there wisely. 14 hours on a plane is no joke so we just had to! :P We just came from New York last March and we loved our stay so much that we wanted to go with our cousins, AA and Andrea and brother Vernon this time! Right after we landed in the big apple, we took a bus straight to Washington DC where our tita lives :) It was going to be my first time there and with all the stories of Vern and how she thinks DC and London are very similar, I was so excited! :)
Going around Washington DC can be quite difficult if you’re pressed for time. There’s just so much to see and do! So we narrowed down a list just for you. Here are 6 places to visit when you’re in the city:
1. Discover where important national decisions are made by taking a tour around the White House, The Capitol and the buildings near it. It can be difficult to get a tour INSIDE these places but when you do get the opportunity to do so, do it! Our trip was very last minute so we didn’t get to pull some strings but Vern got to visit it the last time she was there! :) We only got to see the exterior but it’s still cool to see it in person. I mean these are the buildings you only see in the news or in movies! The buildings near these two offices are pretty, too so just walk around the vicinity.
2. Visit the offices of private institutions like the World Bank and International Monetary Fund. Our aunts were so nice to find an alternative to us not touring the White House so her partner who works at IMF toured us inside these two offices! :) It was so so cool! We got to see the board room. This was especially cool for our brother, Vernon as he’s taking up Consular Affairs :)
3. There are beautiful monuments to visit around Washington DC! You’ll never run out of them and the only time you’ll stop is when you’re all monumented out. While it’s easy to go around the National Mall (it’s literally called that!), our favourites are the Washington Monument and the Lincoln Memorial. They’re very iconic especially for fans of Scandal like me :P
4. Georgetown is a very charming part of DC. It’s a shopping area filled with cafès and it is where the famous Georgetown University is located. The school was beautiful in person and you can actually go inside! While most doors are locked, go to the 4th floor to get a peek at the library. It’s heaven for book lovers!
5. W Hotel is one of the most famous hotel around the city and it’s rooftop bar, POV, is worth a visit to get a bird’s eye view of the landmarks near it. You will actually get to see a different view of The White House here! Plus you can see the snipers and get to spy on them too harhar :P The drinks and food’s amazing plus the interiors of this hotel are very photogenic. It was just so hard not to take photos :P Thank you for having us, W Hotel! Follow them on Instagram to get a glimpse of how it looks like :)
6. Museums. This is the place where there are just too much museums to go to in one city. It’s just so much that you’ll be sick of going to them by end of the trip! hahaha Kidding aside, there’s a museum for everyone’s taste but our favourites are the Smithsonian Museum of Natural History and Smithsonian Museum of Modern Art. Any guesses why? :P
On Vern: Dress from Mango, Shoes from Converse, Bag from Celinè, Sunglasses from Dior
On Verniece: Top from Forever 21, Shoes from Zara, Bag from Chanel
A shoutout to Tita Maybelle and Tita Sasa! If you’re reading this hi!! We miss you already :)