South Palms Resort, Panglao Island
Spending the weekend with my family in Bohol to celebrate my dad’s 41st birthday made me realize that we take a lot of things for granted just because they’re always there or available to us. That we should always be wary of them because at anytime, the things that truly matter might not be there anymore just because we’re prioritising a million other things. It’s quite a cliché actually.. it’s been said over and over again to us yet its one of those things we just can’t put in our head or we’re too stubborn to actually admit it.
Whats with the beach, its quiet getaways near it and it’s ability to make us become all emotional about life? lol But I wrote down 9 things that we most commonly do just to remind you that we should never take these for granted just because they’re always there before it’s too late :)
1. Time spent with family. I spend most of my free time nowadays at home yet after the weekend we just had, I realised that the time I spent with them was actually spent with me doing something else. Even if I’m around them, I was always in my phone, on my laptop or even watching a new series. Even over a meal, I realised that I would only spend 10 minutes at a time with them before I pick up my phone once more to check what’s new on instagram, Facebook or twitter. I’m sure you’re guilty of this, too!! My dad turned 41 yesterday and even if he’s younger than most dad with daughters my age I know, he’s still not getting younger!
2. Our grandparents. This I know will get me VERY emotional as I write it. They’re the people on top of my head who treasures us more than anything in the world yet the time we spend with them is so little. If you’re single like me, I suggest you ask them out to date night once in awhile :) I always do this during Valentine’s day, my birthday and the weekends I’m here :)
3. The opportunity to learn from people that we come across everyday. My dad always reminds us to listen to the little lessons people impart to us everyday. They may not say it directly but their advice always come in the stories they say, the actions they do and even the things they shouldn’t be doing. You never know when you’ll use it!
4. The service we get from guards, waiters, our helpers and drivers. Always say thank you or please and never be rude to them. Whether you notice it or not, they really make our lives so much easier!
5. The fact that you’re alive today. Say a little prayer of thanks every morning for this :)
6. The blessings that not everyone in the world gets to have. A bed, clean water to drink, food on the table, a roof over your head and even the fact that you have a decent bathroom.
7. You have a choice to say yes or no.
8. Time. We’ve developed a habit of saving things to do for tomorrow or making excuses that we can always do it “next time”, “next month”, “next year” or even “maybe in 3 years?” Time won’t wait for us.
9. Our health. This is one that we all take for granted the most just because we think that we’ll always be healthy and sound. We think that even if we abuse our body, skip on sleep and meals, never exercise, we will never get sick. Until we actually really really really do.
Bikinis from CESA PH, Swan from VTMNL, Hats from H&M