Being a working student has its perks yet when you’ve reached your 5 year mark, you start to feel the cons of it. I’ve been in college for 5 years now and I started working 5 years ago and 3 years full time. The only way to do it together without the other one suffering is to balance both as much as you can and I did it by taking around 3-4 subjects a term. As a result, my supposedly 3 and 2 terms course became about 6 years! I’m not complaining though as I’ve been blessed to fulfil my dreams at a young age but there are just times when you start to feel you’re too old for college. Here are 12:
1. First thing your relatives asks you when they haven’t seen you in a long time is, “nag graduates na ba?” or “Kailan ka mag ga graduate?”. Lesson learned? Just say, “not yet po” and then just smile :) Don’t explain! They’ll get the picture.
2. You see your younger brothers in clubs… And happy Thursdays. You rarely go and on the times you do? The only familiar faces you see are your younger siblings and cousins. 2 or 3 years ago, it’s like the whole CSB went clubbing!
3. You dread the first day of classes because you need to say how old you are. Everyone now seems to have a ___ teen after the number.
4. There is literally no familiar face in class. In my case.. The whole building. If there is, it’s my younger brother’s/cousins’ friends.
5. You don’t care about joining school orgs, school events or taking part in student council. Actually you don’t even know who is in the student council anymore!
6. You’ve become so ignorant, you don’t even know when the school holidays are anymore. When don’t we have class again?!
6. When cutting class is not “cool” anymore but a necessity. Cutting class to hang out with friends or go to the mall without our parents knowing used to be part of the fun of being in college. Long are those day because now, I need to cut class for work.
7. Back you were in first four years in college, you would hang around the school the whole day to talk to friends and meet new friends. Now.. You make sure you’re time for class and leave right after. You just have to get out of there STAT!!
8. You don’t care how you look anymore cause no one knows you anyway. Hoodie + leggings for the win!
9. You get so scared to skip class because you don’t know who to ask notes for or ask what the homework is. Thank god our profs have Facebook groups now!!!
10. Nothing makes you cringe more than the instances your teacher says…. Group yourselves into _! I miss the days when my block/college best friends and I don’t need to say a word to group ourselves :(
11. When you see your batchmates throwbacks photos on Facebook and its from their graduation day or their official photos. And here I am…. a year away from getting mine taken. haha!
12. However, you’re secretly thankful you haven’t graduate cause when you see your batchmates tweets, they still don’t have jobs or have found a stable one. Peace :P
I hope that made you laugh! With my 5 years of college, my advice is relax but dream and know what you want. Don’t rush but don’t take too long as well because I’m happy I didn’t graduate only after 3 years but I’m also wishing that I won’t stay this long. Happy 5th birthday, blogger Vern!