If you were to tell me a few months ago that my next relationship would be a long distance one, I’d probably laugh at your face. I never really saw myself in one and never used to really believe that they would work. Fast forward to January of this year and here I am meeting a guy from a city 300 miles away from home and actually found myself in a relationship a month later. I’ve always been in long relationships ever since and it was only last year that I got to experience what it was like to be really single. It was an eye opening experience – hard at first but it was just what I needed.
Then here comes Ben and cheesy as it sounds he made the world alot more colorful and brighter. My lola always told me that when it’s the right person, everything just falls right into place. It’s not only going to feel right but the universe will conspire into making things work out for you and so far, so great! :) Anyway, I really missed doing posts like my A Shoe Tale days so here’s a comeback! Being in a long distance relationship can be hard since it will entail more effort, more time and even more money. Lucky for Ben and I, Cebu and Manila are just 362 miles away from each other and Cebu Pacific has promo fares to offer every Tuesday so it’s easier for him to fly here (Yup, even this we already know! HAHA) and we’re still in the same timezone. We would probably die if there was a 12 hour time difference between us! haha We don’t get to do the usual things couples in normal situations do as well since we can’t be together everyday but with all the downsides of being in one, I can honestly say that there are more perks to it! If you ask me why, it’s because I’m having the time of my life and I know this relationship is one of the main reasons why :) Here are 7 good things about being in one:
1. You learn to appreciate the little things. The little things are usually the ones we take advantage of. Being in an LDR gives you a different perspective about relationships and make you appreciate all the things he does. A good morning text instantly makes my day, a facetime call puts a smile on my face that will last me the next 24 hours, a picture of what he’s doing or where he is is assurance or going home early on a Friday night for a skype date will complete my week. Also because you get to learn to appreciate the little things, as ironic as it may sound, it’s easier to see pass the small things that normal couples usually fight about .
2. Patience is a virtue you learn. Imagine waiting atleast 2 weeks before the next date. I have never appreciated the fast advancement of technology till this relationship. If anyone can invent holograms in the next month or so, I will be at service to this person forever. haha! But I’ve definitely learned to be alot more patient.
3. Absence makes the heart grow fonder. The honeymoon stage usually only lasts for couples at the start but because we have to wait a few weeks to see each other again, it always feels like we’re meeting for the very first time. My god, I can’t believe I’ll be this cheesy here but even after talking literally 24/7 with only sleeping and bathroom times as breaks, I still get butterflies every single time I see his name on my phone and I still get a little bit jittery and nervous every time I fetch him in the airport. Even waiting for him to fetch me for our dates, I still feel that way! haha So I think it will take a lot of effort for the honeymoon stage to go away for people in LDRs.
4. LDRs will forcefully bring out the hopeless romantic and cheesy in you. I’ve always been a hopeless romantic and I’ve always been cheesy but I don’t think I’ve ever been this much! haha Since feelings can’t always be proved the normal way, LDRs make you go the extra mile and make up for presence in other kinds of presence like small romantic gestures, sweet long messages and the like :)
5. Every singe time you’re together is adventure time. I actually think that not only did I find a boyfriend but an adventure buddy as well. Since it always feels like we have to make up for lost time every time we’re together, we always make sure that the things we’ll do will always be memorable. We’ve squeezed in 6 months worth of coupley things into two months plus to spice things up, we also make sure that some of the trips we’ll see each other will be different from Cebu and Manila so yay to a new travel buddy too! Boracay, Bali and Japan, here we come!
6. It’s easier to have a life outside the relationship. This has always been my problem. When I get into a relationship, alot of the aspects of my life kind of get into trouble but since you have more time to do other things than get sucked into a lotus flower hotel kind of relationship where you have no life outside of it, you get to excel on other parts of your life. Plus you’d need to find things to distract yourself with so that an LDR won’t feel hard so you’ll work harder or study harder which in turn, the relationship has an overall positive effect. And like my parents always said, be with a guy who gives just that! haha :)
7. It will take quite awhile before you get into a routine. I know that this is one of the reasons why most couples break up but since we don’t get to see each other everyday, we’ll never get into one routine and get bored. Everything’s always new :)
Top from YAMAMAY, Skirt from APARTMENT 8, Shoes from TIP TOE, Earrings from SM ACCESSORIES
There you go! Hope you enjoyed the post :) I really don’t know how to end this so Hi Babs! Be kilig!!!! HAHA!